Creating a slide show of all the projects I have slaved over this past semester has been a bitter-sweet experience. As I went over the projects, I realized how much I have learned and that I even enjoyed much of the learning process.
The message of this portfolio is really a showcasing of the skills and talents I have acquired in Visual Communication. My audience is potential employers or anyone that would would need to become familiar with my abilities.
Coming up with the basic slide design was just a matter of deciding on a color scheme and a layout. I designed the introductory and closing slides, then matched the showcasing slides to them.
Almost every project required extensive tweaking. For my Benefit Flier project, I created more contrast for some of the text boxes. For the Slide Design project I spent my efforts on reworking the coloring and text of the slides used. Most of my time and effort went to the Photography Study project where I reworked my grid and color scheme. For the Web Design and Social Media Projects my efforts were expended in completing those projects as they had not been completed previously. In total, I spent between four to six hours making changes and updates to the varied projects before adding them to my slide show.
I posted my portfolio to the class Facebook Page for critique.
Shelley Tiffany comments were:“Your spacing is not consistent on slide #4. The lower left laps over the top left image, but it’s the only one. Consider changing the spacing around the images.” In response to her critique I adjusted the image layout on slide #4.
Cheryl Meinen reminded me to include all eight projects in my portfolio. The draft she critiqued had only five. I added the remaining three.
Addyson Hujtyn said: “The only thing is that on your first page the line seems to cut the slide in half. I don’t know if there’s a way to use it differently, since it is incorporated in all of the slides.” I decided to keep the line she spoke of because I thought it worked to keep the whole project cohesive.
The magazine spread project is to write and design a two-page magazine spread for the Ensign or New Era (magazines of the LDS Church). I chose to write for the Ensign and decided to write of an experience I had that taught me about how the Lord answers our prayers and guides our lives through His omniscience. My audience is youth and young adults who are entering the major decision-making portion of their lives.
Once the story was written, I made a couple of sketches that I felt best complemented the message that I was trying to convey. I then selected pictures that suited the layout of my favorite sketch and then I made a frame map that would prepare me to create the magazine spread in InDesign.
Once the wire-frame was done, I was able to create my magazine spread!
I received critiques from my instructor Kristen Larson as well as from several of my classmates, Nancy Wells, Lisa Hauck Wilkinson, Steph Dee, and Jessica Noelle Brewer. Sister Larson advised me to drop my drop shadow and to watch for hyphens, widows and orphans. Both she and Nancy Wells suggested that I make sure my images were not touching the text and that I add a byline. Lisa Hauck Wilkinson advised that I move the center picture to prevent it being chopped off. Jessica Noelle Brewer advised that I fix my margins between columns so that they were at least an inch in the center. I changed the drop shadow to an innershadow because I thought the text still needed some enhancement. I added the byline and reworked the layout to adjust the margins and the appearance of widows and orphans. I did not move the picture because I liked it best in that position.
This was the final result!
Split Complementatry (Teal, Red, Orange)
Title: Lucida Handwriting/Script
Title: Arial/Sans Serif
Body: Times New Roman/Oldstyle
My magazine spread design began with my sketches and shape map. I chose my favorite sketch which was also the favourite of one of my critiquers and made the shape map from it with very little deviation.
This is what it looks like thus far!:
This assignment was to introduce myself to new coworkers by creating a movie poster starring me. The idea was to have me emerging from water by blending two photos in photoshop. The basic colour scheme was monochromatic. The idea of emergence was to play on the fact that I am always trying to “find” ne aspects of myself. The idea is that it will take a while to know me.
I had two critiques from Dee Wightman and Shelley Tiffany. Both reminded me of the need to include the movie details. Shelley suggested that I change the font color of some of my text. I took all their advice and ended up at the Fedex office three times befoe I had a satisfactory poster.
Fonts – SF Movie Font Regular
The image of the Rio Grande was taken by me and my brother-in-law took the image of me.